Tenant FAQ’s

How long is a Tenancy Agreement?

The initial term of the tenancy agreement is 6 months, this will usually be extended once the initial term has lapsed subject to all parties being happy. This is usually from 6 – 12 months (but can vary depending on the needs of the parties involved).

What is the tenancy deposit for and were does it go?

After the tenancy deposit has been paid it is a legal requirement that the deposit is registered in a government approved deposit scheme within 30 days. The deposit will be used in the case of repairing any damage above fair wear and tear that may happen during the tenancy, for none payment of rent or if the property requires professional cleaning. A detailed inventory done at the start of your tenancy combined with periodic inspection reports will help assess if any deductions are deemed fair or necessary.

What is an Inventory?

An inventory is a document that describes the condition of the property and the condition of anything left behind by the Landlord. The inventory will be carried out by us before you move in to the property and will be supported by several hundred photos. At the start of the tenancy all tenants must sign and agree that the inventory is correct, this will help to clear up in any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

Do I need insurance?

You are responsible for insuring your own personal possessions, so we strongly advise you take out your own content’s insurance. Your landlord will be responsible for insuring the building, but their policy will not cover your items.

What are my responsibilities?

As a tenant your responsibilities are as follows: – To pay the rent on time and in full – To pay the utility bills – To pay the TV licence unless the tenancy agreement states otherwise – To maintain the gardens if applicable – To keep the property clean and tidy – To do general household maintenance for example changing light bulbs – To make sure the property is kept secure at all times – To keep the property ventilated – To clean the windows – To dispose of all rubbish – To report repairs or any maintenance issues as soon as possible – To respect the neighbourhood and not to cause any disturbance or unnecessary noise

Who notifies the utility companies that I have move in?

If we manage the property we will initially notify the utility companies, but it is your responsibility to set up your account and pay the bills. In the case of a property we manage we will take meter readings at the start and the end of the tenancy, if we don’t manage the property we always advise you take meter readings at the start and end of your tenancy.

Who pays the council tax?

It is your responsibility to pay the council tax unless stated otherwise on the tenancy agreement.

If I have a problem how do I report a repair?

If you have a maintenance or repair issue it is important you report it to us as soon as possible. You can do this online by clicking here or by calling 0116 267 4049, we will contact your landlord to arrange any repairs. If landlord is under our management service we will contact and liaise with the appointed contractors.

What if the Landlord wants to gain access?

If the landlord wants to gain access you must receive 24 hours notice in writing unless you agree otherwise. The exception would be in the case of an emergency.

I want to book a viewing what do I do?

Once you have found a property and would like to book a viewing simply give us a call on 0116 267 4049 and we will arrange an appointment to meet you at the property, typically viewings are carried out on a weekday depending on availability. Please Note: We cannot grant a tenancy for legal restrictions to anyone under the age of 18 and we also ask that where possible all parties over 18 renting the property have viewed before applying (I.e. husband & wife).

I want to give notice to end my tenancy what do I do?

If you would like to end your tenancy the procedure is straightforward. Check your tenancy agreement to confirm the end date of your fixed term and notice period required. You can give notice to end your tenancy in writing to us at the office or by email (we require notice from each named tenant on the tenancy agreement). Typically, 1 months notice is required (as long as this falls after the last day of your fixed term – if applicable), if you are unsure call us on 0116 267 4049 for assistance.

I would like to take the property what’s next?

We will ask you to pay the Holding Deposit by bank transfer. You will need to fill out our application form, we can email you a copy for you to print at home or if you require a hard copy you can collect one from our office. Please Note: We will not commence referencing or stop further viewings until the Holding Deposit has been received.

What if I want to end my tenancy early?

Your tenancy agreement is a legal binding contract that your landlord has to adhere to and so do you. If you leave before the end of your tenancy agreement you are still be liable for the rent, utilities and all charges associated until the fixed term of your agreement has expired. A formal “surrender“ may be requested from either party but the terms and conditions have to be agreed, this might include financial compensation for any costs or inconvenience incurred.

Which documents do I need for application?

• Proof of current address – Utility Bill, Bank / Credit Card Statement or official letter i.e. DWP or HMRC • Photo ID - Passport (even if expired), Driving Licence (Photo Card) or Residence Permit. • Last 3 months Wage slips or Bank statements, if you are self employed we will require 3 years tax returns Other Photo ID May be acceptable please contact the office to check. Please Note: we will also need your birth certificate to complete the right to rent check if a driving licence is used as photo ID.

What happens to my deposit once I move out?

Once you have handed the keys back the property will be assessed against the inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy alongside any inspection reports. The property is expected to be in the same condition as the day you moved in whilst allowing for Fair wear and tear. Once the property assessment is completed we will discuss any potential claims the landlord may wish to make. Once any deductions have been agreed you should receive your deposit within 7 working days. In the case of disputed deductions both parties can submit evidence to the DPS ( Deposit Protection Scheme ) for a third party ruling.

Do I need a guarantor?

If you haven’t been employed for longer than 6 months, if you are not in permanent Full Time employment or are under a probation period, or if the rent is more than 40% of your annual income, a guarantor will be needed. Your guarantor will go through the same referencing process as you and will agree to take joint responsibility for the rent of the property. The guarantor will be liable to pay any rent arrears and for any damages the deposit does not cover. A guarantor must be a home owner within Leicestershire and have a basic salary of 3 time the annual rent. They must also not be subject to a probation period.

At the end of my tenancy who stops my standing order?

At the end of your tenancy you must cancel the standing order for rent payments by contacting your bank, as we cannot do this for you. Over payments returned by us may incur an admin charge.

What if I have CCJ’s or arrears?

Honesty is always the best policy, having bad credit isn’t always a no, but if you fail to declare any CCJ’s or arrears when filling in any forms regarding your credit history this may lead to your application being rejected by the landlord.

I have passed my credit search and references what happens next?

Once all the references and searches are complete, we will contact the landlord to seek approval to grant you the tenancy. Once this has been received from the landlord, we will complete all the paperwork including the tenancy agreement and contact will you to arrange for you to sign them. We will also ask for the deposit and the first month’s rent payment to be made to us 48 hours before the tenancy commences to ensure cleared funds are received (without cleared funds we cannot release the keys).

What is a Tenancy Agreement?

A tenancy agreement is a legal binding document signed by yourself, your landlord or us as the landlords representative, that sets out your rights, obligations and responsibilities within the tenancy.